Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
Lilypie First Birthday tickers
Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

2.05.2009

California Girls...

A couple of years ago I went to see the home I grew up in. If you have moved in your lifetime then I encourage you to go back to visit the places you have lived...

Just before I went into first grade, my family moved from Cincinnati, Ohio to Bakersfield, California. We lived there until I was in sixth grade. I loved living in California. Not because it was California, but because I had great friends and everything I knew
about life revolved around living at 2709 Catalina Dr. Bakersfield, CA 93306. Here is a picture of my old house...btw, we didn't have skeletons or tacky Halloween decorations up when we lived there.

What a life! Lots of first...six, first days of school; my first sister, Amy, was born; I watched my first rated R movie (which I kept a secret from my parents for years!); first boyfriend, Fabio; first experience of camp; first time toilet papering someone's home/cabin; first perm (never get those...); first sleep-over; first time being grounded; first water skiing experience (almost died); it is where I learned to swim; it is where I learned to pray, to read the Bible, and was baptized. Lots of firsts...

On October 31, 1985 I was dressed up as a princess, being escorted into a white Suburban, where I met my very best friend, LaMonica. We had just moved to California, it was Halloween and we were invited to go Trick-o-Treating with a family from church. From that night until now, LaMonica and I have been good friends. It amazes me that this year will mark our 24th year being friends. She is an amazing woman of God, an awesome mother to 8 children, a hard worker, caring midwife, and a best friend. Recently, she has become a rock of strength in my life. She has been a foster mom for many, many years and is able to give lots of advice. Simply...wonderful!


This is the church where I was baptized...it was called University Avenue Christian Church. I think it's now called Great Beginnings...the old name was better.

1 comment:

indymommy said...

Wow, that's cool to see where you lived and were baptized! Thanks for posting!